Friday, May 10, 2013

Homemade Almond Butter {updated}

*Update- A friend told me that she tried roasting her raw almonds and made Almond butter and it turned out so much better!! I was happy with my Homemade almond butter last time, but it still didn't taste as good as the brand that I buy. I used Whole natural almonds.  Make sure there is no other ingredients other than almonds. Roast on 350 for 10 minutes on a cookie sheet.  You can kind of stir them up a little about half way. I wouldn't do any longer than 10 minutes. I let them cool so they were still warm but cool enough that I could grab a handful of them.  Put them in your food processor and blend away.  Wow!! It was so much faster (10 minutes max) and I hardly had to scrape the bowl at all.  I scraped just a couple times to make sure I got all the tiny bits blended well.  I added a touch of salt.  It tastes yummier than my last attempt too.  Roasting is the way to go! Almond butter is so yummy with Apples! {keep your almond butter in the fridge, if you want it a little more runny when you are ready to eat it then put your jar in warm water for a bit to warm it up}

See how the pic above looks a lot more creamy! Tastes better too!

***
Here is the rest of my original post :)

Lately I LOVE almond butter.  I remember when we started buying almond butter for my oldest daughter because she's allergic to peanuts.  I seriously thought "this doesn't even sound good!" I'm such a Peanut Butter girl.  But, I've really started to Love it over the last few months.  I buy the "kettle brand" creamy almond butter at my local Smiths store.  It is so creamy and easy to spread.  I love it.  The only ingredients in the Kettle brand is almonds and salt. Before you use it just mix it well. I usually get the "creamy" kind.

 We don't have a health food store near by so I'm sure in other places there are more options too. But Yay! Kettle brand is Perfect and clean! But, why does the healthy stuff have to be so much more expensive? Grrr...Anyway, I eat it with apples about every day! So, I figured I would try to make my own.  
At first I tried it and used my Vitamix blender.  It didn't really come out creamy like I had hoped.  Then, I found THIS recipe and said that actually using a food processor for this is way better than using a Vitamix.  You have to let it grind for quite a while 15-20 minutes or so and then it finally becomes creamy. So, that is quite long for the Vitamix.  Food processor Here I come!
In some of the comments on the link it says that roasting the almonds for a bit first will help make the process quicker.  I just threw in raw almonds.  I stopped it to scrape the sides every once in a while and about 15 minutes later I had yummy almond butter!! 
The Kettle brand is easy to spread even after it sits in the fridge, so I'm anxious to see how this homemade kind works out.  It tastes yummy though and it's nice and smooth.  Success!! This is great in recipes too.



0 Comment Luv:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments and Feedback! If you take the time to read my blog, I'd love to hear from you anytime!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Natural supplements

Brain Balance

Search This Blog

Hint Water

Fit MaMa WannaBe on Facebook

a POPSUGAR Select Fitness Founding Member

Sweat Pink!



Fit Mama WannaBe


To show support please leave comments, questions, feedback and you can follow via Google Friend Connect, Networked Blogs, Bloglovin', Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow Fit Mama WannaBe
Thoughts in Vinyl Blog Button

I want to hear your story.....

If you have a Weight-loss or Fitness or any other motivational type Story, I would love to feature you on my blog. Please email me at sparklesandbugs {at} hotmail.com



Follow Me on Pinterest

Copyrighted

Please don't use any picture or ideas from this blog without proper attribution. Thanks a bunch!
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved