Friday, January 20, 2012

POPCORN the Healthy way!

On the weekends I feel like I have to have popcorn if we are watching a movie or when I want a snack.  Microwave popcorn isn't the greatest for you, so here is what I do instead.  Pop popcorn kernels in a brown paper bag.  Oh my gosh! I love it and it's cheaper too! I usually add a little butter spray and popcorn seasonings that you buy next to the popcorn kernels in the store or a little sea salt.  Love! I feel like I'm splurging but it's fresh popcorn with no added chemicals or extra calories.  Less mess, faster and easier than using an air popper.  Can also use the stove with a lid :) But, this way is just more convenient.

gourmet popcorn recipe

Put 1/4- 1/2 cup kernels into brown bag, fold over twice.  Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes depending on your microwave.  Listen for the pops.  Don't let it burn. (Try putting the bag NOT in the center of your microwave or on a small plate if it keeps burning easily).  Add your seasonings and That's it!! Yummy!

Try different seasonings: You can buy Popcorn seasonings at the store or try garlic powder/onion powder, parmesan cheese, cinnamon and honey, taco seasoning, chili powder, etc. What ever your little heart (or tummy) desires. :)  I may try to add a little bit of olive oil and a pinch salt on top of the kernels before I pop it next time to see how it disperses the flavor that way.  I also want to try a little bit of oil, sugar (or sugar substitute) and cocoa for when I have a sweet tooth.  (if you add oil it might be smart to line the bottom of your bag with parchment paper to help it from seeping through the bag.  Popcorn is my favorite snack.  I'm excited to experiment more with this and sneak a bag in with me when I go to the movies so I don't feel tempted to get the super bad for you Movie popcorn....Shhhhh, don't tell! ;)
Let me know if you try it or if you have any other seasoning options or good tips for me!

Have a Happy & Healthy snacking weekend :)

6 Comment Luv:

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...[Reply]

I heart popcorn, I have never tried it this way, but I am all for healthy and yummy. Thanks for sharing~

Mom said...[Reply]

I am a new follower and blogger. Your popcorn idea sounds good; popcorn is one of my husband's favorite foods! Check out my fitness friday post
http://parentinginthemoment.blogspot.com/2012/01/mile-markers-beginnings.html

Sonia said...[Reply]

I read an article in the newspaper about popping popcorn like that but was afraid to try it. It seems you had success so I'm definitely going to try it now :)

Unknown said...[Reply]

Yes you should try it! I have it every weekend! :)

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...[Reply]

Love popcorn, but can't "justify" eating it lol! NOW I can! Thank you for sharing and linking up! I'll be featuring your awesome idea at next week's linky party :) Thanks again Ang!!

Unknown said...[Reply]

Thank you! :)

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments and Feedback! If you take the time to read my blog, I'd love to hear from you anytime!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Natural supplements

Brain Balance

Search This Blog

Hint Water

Fit MaMa WannaBe on Facebook

a POPSUGAR Select Fitness Founding Member

Sweat Pink!



Fit Mama WannaBe


To show support please leave comments, questions, feedback and you can follow via Google Friend Connect, Networked Blogs, Bloglovin', Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow Fit Mama WannaBe
Thoughts in Vinyl Blog Button

I want to hear your story.....

If you have a Weight-loss or Fitness or any other motivational type Story, I would love to feature you on my blog. Please email me at sparklesandbugs {at} hotmail.com



Follow Me on Pinterest

Copyrighted

Please don't use any picture or ideas from this blog without proper attribution. Thanks a bunch!
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved